Handshake: The "Long", and "Short" Game.....

General news and info here
CLS
Handshake: The "Long", and "Short" Game.....

Post by CLS »

Hi everyone - this is my first post.

It's good to be here and be involved in the Handshake community.

I've been thinking a bit lately about Handshake, how it is currently placed and where it needs to be long-term.

Obviously the end game is for Handshake to be a base layer type protocol, a global public good.

Everything built on top of it in the tech stack (wallets, browsers, operating systems, games, dapps, exchanges, social networks and so on..) will be able to leverage and incorporate Handshake TLD's (Handshake will be a composable and integral base layer protocol for the Web3/dWeb.)

That's the end goal and something definitely worth working towards - although it is probably a long and rocky journey to reach that point (if ever).

In the short term, before our end goal is reached, what can we do to make Handshake more appealing to speculators, NFT fanatics and collectors?

The initial TLD releases and auctions have definitely been fun and competitive - but they are coming to a close very soon (auctions will continue of course, just the "premium" type TLD's will all be locked away).

The secondary market is very slow - which is understandable at this stage of our journey (it is picking up a little).

TLD's are the ultimate "utility" type NFT's - we need to plugin to the hype and attention that is currently circling around NFT's (think NBA Top Shot or Nifty Gateway).

Speculation is what is going to keep us going at this point - what can we do to attract more speculators, "gamify" TLD ownership, get people excited about Handshake and get them making some $$$?

I'm no expert and I definitely don't have all the answers, but here are a few things I've been thinking about (these are not my ideas, they are all things that have been discussed or done previously in other web3 type projects).

- Create some TLD "pools" where many premium TLD's are placed in a pool, speculators stake $HNS into the pool and are awarded a TLD for their participation (similar to a lottery). Could work along similar lines to "Pool Together" or other similar projects. TLD owners receive fees/rewards for adding their TLD to the pool. There's a few different "lottery" type scenarios that could work for TLD's - imagine someone "winning" a cool TLD and flipping it for big $$$ on the secondary market. This would bring some real attention to the value of Handshake TLD's.

- Co-investment / fractional ownership of individual premium TLD's or even a basket of premium TLD's. Investors in this pool of TLD's earn money from secondary market sales or SLD sales. There's a few other cool things you could do here as well.....

- How do we create more liquidity for $HNS, become LP's and even use our Handshake TLD's as collateral? Rolling out wHNS would be a good start (it is being worked on already) - this would help us to incorporate $HNS into many different cool projects (Balancer/Ocean/UNI etc.)

- How do we "gamify" the secondary marketplace for Handshake TLD's? We've got to highlight the big wins $$$, create leaderboards, (think Bitmex/Bitfinex) maybe create some tournaments around flipping TLD's and reward the winners with $HNS (there's obvious issues with this idea, but just putting these things out in the open in order to seed some discussion). Also some ref links for Namebase (and other Handshake infrastructure) would appeal to many "crypto" natives.

Sorry - this turned out to be a bit of a rambling first post......

Don't take it too seriously - hopefully it may spark some fresh ideas and some discussion around the next steps for Handshake.

We are "Handshake" so it is up to us to make it happen.
skyinclude

Trusted Buyer

Re: Handshake: The "Long", and "Short" Game.....

Post by skyinclude »

hi CLS,

thanks for this epic post and great insights! I've been at Namescon today connecting with domains and mentioning Handshake - some know about it - and excited to see them come on slowly but surely.

In the Bob Wallet Telegram group, one of their admin shared this - which I think is exaactly what you are thinking - hope it comes soon
Q for everyone here: we have been thinking about non-custodial aftermarket infrastructure, building on top of the swaps protocol.

!. We want both buyers and sellers to have a good experience.

2. We also think there is a lot we can learn from traditional auction platforms in e-commerce, and in history of domain industry.

to address (1), what do you think of a non-custodial secondary market that has two options:

- If seller lists and buyer accepts (by locking funds), it begins a public descending-price reverse dutch auction. Can wiki that if unclear what it is, but basically allows the seller to open up purchase of name to at least the price that was agreed upon, with the previous buyer's price locked in. Seller has nothing to lose: price discovery can occur.

that's the 1st option

-- To counterbalance, a buyer-centric flow would be for a buyer to make an offer for a name that has not yet been listed. If the seller accepts, the seller does not have the option to create the public reverse dutch auction.

i.e. the person that is first to "make" the market (vs take) is rewarded with a better price.

We think this can be done on the protocol level, but want to hear what people think of the general idea.

If this existed (and people were tweeting out on-chain auction countdowns), would you use it?
I also talked to Steve Webb, a partner at Park.io - at the Namescon, and they are super bullish on Handshake and really going all in.

I do think the market will shift to aftermarket sales in a big way post 1 year , Feb 14, 2021.

Thanks again for being here with us!

https://skyinclude.com/ or HNS http://setup.skyinclude :mrgreen:

CLS

Post by CLS »

Thanks SkyInclude - appreciate your response.

Very interesting comments about the Bob Wallet chat and also Park.io.

I'll reach out to those guys to see where they are at with it all.
skyinclude

Trusted Buyer

Post by skyinclude »

my pleasure (My "real" name is "Mike" ha, but loving SkyInclude/ TLD )

you can join the Telegram groups too for Bob Wallet and others - but I don't think Park.io has a group.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21

Other news:

1) I was on a Handshake directors conference call today and Namebase has some exciting products to release - one being "login with Handshake" - and hope we can install that on Handshake.mercenary (they are supporters of what we are doing here).

2) I attended the Namescon event and was chatting to a few people on Handshake names. Many "domainers" are still a bit skeptical after many ICO and crypto and previous naming scams - but seem to be warming up.

I'll make a recap post on that tomorrow (Just so exhausted now so much networking)
and will reply to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=96

3) also more and more talk on SLD sales - this thread is inspiring too
viewtopic.php?f=23&p=196#p196

https://skyinclude.com/ or HNS http://setup.skyinclude :mrgreen:

handshakegod

Post by handshakegod »

"In the short term, before our end goal is reached, what can we do to make Handshake more appealing to speculators, NFT fanatics and collectors?"

I think the idea for domains is to build on them. These things are worth squat if not used. The focus should be on developing sites -- the true utility -- and then the market will take care of itself.
:lol: Hanshake God and life begins... :arrow: :roll: :!: