Sci-Hub is NOT on Handshake

What is poppin' in the domain industry of HANDSHAKE!
handshakegod
Sci-Hub is NOT on Handshake

Post by handshakegod »

I was stoked a few days ago when I saw that Sci-Hub was using Handshake to help users get to their treasure trove of ungated piratebayesque journal articles.

I discovered this new usage of a handshake domain for the controversial site via the Namebase notification feed, in screenshot below:

I'd never heard of Sci-Hub, but after perusing the Sci-Hub Wikipedia page and chasing down a few more links about them, I thought in my little noggin' -- "this is a perfect use case for handshake."

There was of course the rah rah publicity tweeting:

And an article followed on Coindesk announcing Pirated Academic Database Sci-Hub Is Now on the ‘Uncensorable Web’

Wow. What great news for us HNS fiends.

Alas, my stiffened 🍆 was wilting in no time thanks to another Coindesk article that frosted my eggplant farm in emojiland, titled:

Sci-Hub Leaves Handshake Blockchain After 2 Days, Citing Centralization Concerns

...the HNS 🍆blocker of an article showcased some points about this lovely DNS blockchain that were plain wrong.

But, as we move to get usage and publicity and further attention focused on this widely misunderstand use case for blockchain from people accustomed to the entrenched ways of the legacy DNS system, the moral of the story is:

We HNS fiends are fighting an uphill battle...

We need to come to a more consistent approach in the differentiation of these TLDs in relation to SLDs that most people are accustomed to...

And, when gifting a "domain" to a project that could really benefit from what the Handshake blockchain has to offer, make sure to go full monty and gift the whole damn TLD and not some SLD that you control.

Nuff said.

Thoughts on how we can do better in the future and potentially re-engage the likes of Sci-Hub and similar projects that are perfect use cases for this HNS experiment?
:lol: Hanshake God and life begins... :arrow: :roll: :!:
skyinclude

Trusted Buyer

Re: Sci-Hub is NOT on Handshake

Post by skyinclude »

Totally agree here on a more unified approach. Maybe some kind of "open source" guidebook that someone gets to know how to operate it.

I think using the bare TLD with Sia Skynet would have worked? no need for SLDs
handshakegod wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:39 pm But, as we move to get usage and publicity and further attention focused on this widely misunderstand use case for blockchain from people accustomed to the entrenched ways of the legacy DNS system, the moral of the story is:

We HNS fiends are fighting an uphill battle...

We need to come to a more consistent approach in the differentiation of these TLDs in relation to SLDs that most people are accustomed to...

And, when gifting a "domain" to a project that could really benefit from what the Handshake blockchain has to offer, make sure to go full monty and gift the whole damn TLD and not some SLD that you control.

Nuff said.

Thoughts on how we can do better in the future and potentially re-engage the likes of Sci-Hub and similar projects that are perfect use cases for this HNS experiment?

https://skyinclude.com/ or HNS http://setup.skyinclude :mrgreen:

Inner I Company

Post by Inner I Company »

Being there in the mind is the first step.
herd

Post by herd »

awareness is helpful - still hope it can be recovered use case
Inner I Company wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:37 pm Being there in the mind is the first step.
---
-
-
Follow the herd/